Less Sugar Strawberry Jam
5 cups Strawberries, washed, stemmed, and diced
1 1/2 cups Sugar
1 box Mrs. Wages Lite Fruit Pectin
1. Prepare home canning jars and lids according to manufacturer's instructions for sterilized jars. I put mine in the dishwasher. Make if you use the dishwasher, that the heat is on to dry. This will keep the jar warm.
2. Put measured fruit into a 6 or 8 quart saucepan.
3. Mash strawberries with a potato masher until they are very mashed and there is lots of juice. If your strawberries are too firm and don't release much juice add a 1/4 cup of water.
4. Stir in pectin and LET MIXTURE SIT 5-10 MINUTES. I set the timer for 10 mins. and got my sugar, lids and rings ready.
5. Then bring to a full boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Remember a full boil is when you stir the jam it stay at a full boil.
6. Add sugar. Return to a full boil and boil for 1 minute, stirring constantly. Don't overcook pectin as it may break down and prevent gelling.
7. Remove from heat (if using gas stove that means just turn off burner). Then skim off foam. Save foam for later to eat when cooled, Yum.
8. Quickly ladle into hot jars. Leave 1/4-inch head space. Use a clean damp cloth to wipe the top and threads of jars. Cover with hot lids and tighten rings firmly.
9. Set hot jars on rack in canner of boiling water. Water must cover jars by 1 or 2 inches. Cover canner and return to boil. (200dF) Boil for 5 mins. Begin time when water temp. reaches 200d.
10.Remove canner form heat,(again gas stove turn off burner) remove lid and let jars sit 5 minutes in canner. Remove jars from canner, set on a cutting board covered by a clean towel.
11. Listen for the POP as the jars seal. If a jar doesn't seal eat that one first.
What is your favorite homemade jam?